Is your lower back pain a real PAIN IN THE BUM?
“Sciatica” is the name given to pain that is caused by irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve.
The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in your body. It runs from the back of your pelvis, through your buttock, and all the way down the leg, ending at your feet. You have a Sciatic nerve on both sides.
When something compresses or irritates the sciatic nerve, for example, a Disc Prolapse or Inflamed Spinal Joint, it can cause a pain that radiates out from your lower back, into your buttock and travels down your leg to your calf. Sciatic pain can range from being mild to very painful.
Symptoms can include:
- Buttock pain, hamstring and/or calf pain, which can be aggravated after sitting
- Pain, pins and needled and numbness in the back of the thigh, calf and foot
- Sciatic nerve irritation can also cause weakness of the ankle and result in “foot drop”
- A shooting pain into the leg, which makes it difficult to stand up
- Pain in the lower back, which can worsen for coughing or sneezing
- Pain can be persistent or present in frequent spasms
Osteopathic treatment is extremely effective in helping reduce the symptoms of Sciatic pain. Your osteopath can diagnose the condition by taking your full medical history and testing your posture. back, hips, and legs for sensation, reflexes, strength and flexibility. Your osteopath will discuss this with you. If it is necessary an osteopath might refer you to have an MRI scan of your back to get more information on whether there might be a specific disc injury pressing on a nerve to cause the symptoms.
Osteopathy is very effective in cases of acute episodes as well as preventing further episodes re-occurrence. Osteopathic treatment for sciatica consists of relieving pressure and inflammation off the sciatic nerve. Typical treatments include:
- Release of muscle spasm
- Gentle Spinal mobilisation of the lower lumbar spine
- Gentle articulation of the affected joints
- Tailored rehabilitation exercises plan
For further information on how we might be able to help please feel free to contact the clinic on 01757 704152 or book your 15 minutes free consultation online.
Please mention this article and we will offer you a £5.00 discount off your initial osteopathic consultation (cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer).